- brainstormed the theme with the kids-
- researched different materials and structures
- came up with free standing undulating wall design with the help of Party By Design
- had the students submit drawings that we compiled onto the full scale "cartoon"
- cut up a ton of stained glass
- had a "mosaic palooza" during a blizzard ( 2015) and it didn't stop snowing!
- consulted with Mosaic artist Josh Weiner who gave us a thinset lessons and switched our method to the tape technique eliminating any kind of glue and wood in the fabrication.
- Many meetings in Avon with the fabricator Marcus
- The students and tart teacher Mary Ellen Olson worked over the two academic years assembling the panels
- we switched from a free standing wall to a flat panel hanging on the building with a french cleat system
- I cut up the taped mosaics, adhered and grouted the 6 panels in my studio
- the mosaics were sealed
- installed on wall and unveiled yesterday!
the cleats ready for the mosaics
( this is a panoramic shot I tried to unwarp on photoshop)
I know that kids liked it!
If you are local and want to see it- you can drive up to the building- it's the first entrance to the school on the right on Burditt Ave off rt 3A . You can also park in the main lot and walk across campus- its on the new "Innovation center" building.