Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Road trip!

I just returned from a wonderful 5 days of travel. I left Friday and drove up to visit artist mosaic queen Mo Ringey in Easthampton, MA. It was great to see what the art scene is about in Holyoke MA- attended a fun opening - lots of talented people out there.  Tons of artists everywhere.
The next day I stopped into Syracuse to visit my daughter Markie-
saw her apartment and took her and her friends out to dinner- ( this is her in front of a cool mosaic we passed on our way to the restaurant)
It was wonderful to see her! I can't believe she is already a senior.
That night I continued on  to Rochester to visit one of my oldest friends Carol Acquilano.
She painted this yesterday- I shared my black gessoed acrylic technique with her.
                                                And I did this one...
Below is a large piece on her easel right now...

her awesome studio...

                                         her BEAUTIFUL exhibit!
She and I met at Museum school-we were in each other's weddings-we lost touch for 4 or 5 years and then bumped into each other in Florence in 1985-outside of the  Statue of David in a HUGE crowd-and I spent two weeks with her after that painting in Cortona, and we reconnected later in London. We have not lost touch since and ironically she and I both now work in art museums. When we get together we pretty much eat and breathe art the whole time. Her paintings of Italy are so gorgeous and I love her abstract pieces.She inspires me a lot- she also makes books and is a printmaker -actually she can do anything!
Today I stopped and visited the Hancock Shaker Village in Pittsfield, MA on my way home and met with with the director of family programs there ( a work visit)- it was a beautiful place to visit on this perfect fall day. I wished I could paint there! ( of course)
I'm home again and it feels great! It was a jam packed weekend.
Al and Winnie were up in Maine- they are glad to home too!

1 comment:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Markie is LOVELEY, the apple doesn't fall far fromthe tree, does it?
So glad you had an art trip! Funny, but you can see Carol and you studied together! Glad you're home safe and sound!