Sunday, November 29, 2009

geraniums in blue vase 8" x 8 " oil on panel


I tried something different here- I used a white panel and painted with transparent washes
to attempt to capture the translucent quality of the petals. Wiping with a rag, reapplying paint, and wiping again, Still struggling with the beautiful fuschia blue red color, just coming close....
Its fun to try something different- there are so many ways to approach paintings.
I was at my neighbor Tori Brega's house yesterday, letting her dogs out for a romp, and swiped this blossom from her plant. I am so lucky to have this very special person right across the street. She is an amazing artist and works, like me, in many different mediums, Anything she touches has that special "Toriness" about it- cookies and treats, lovely jeweled creations,sparkly gift-wrapped surprises.
A lot of people may know that Tori is a beautiful and talented woman creating beaded creations, but few know the depth of her abilities.
I snapped this picture of a perfectly magical snowy road that Tori painted  a while ago. Tori is an illustrator and I am sure someday she will publish a beautiful book. I hope she lives across the street for a long long time, for having a neighbor like Tori is a dream come true.







3 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I agree that Tori is a special, talented person. It seems everything she touches soaks up part of her and glitters with it.

Are you using quinacridone rose for the geranium?

Sally Dean said...

I think I have quinacridone magenta- is that close?
Yes- Tori is indeed a gem!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Love Tori, and that painting is smashing!
Nothing like having a neighbor who turns into a close friend. Like my Suzie ;)