Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Great Grandmother's painting

May Lillian Smith Dean was born in Bradford, England in 1863. She was the daughter of Professor Walter Smith (b. Kemerton, Glousestershire, England ). An art educator, he established  art schools in Yorkshire and Leeds, England then later came to America to establish the Massachusetts Normal School of Art (now Mass art).  He returned to Kensington where he  died in 1886. His daughter May married my great grandfather Josaih Dean in 1888. They lived in Brookline MA and summered in Cape Ann. She was 37 when she painted this painting of Anasquam Light- Her youngest of 4, my grandfather, was only 1 when she painted this.
I have been enjoying learning about my ancestors and am so thankful that my Dad and I have this time. I am copying the painting- channeling my great grandmother.
Heres something from Sunday- just as the sun came up
And I will leave you with this sweet water lily.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sally - In your spare time, (I know, funny huh?)you should go on Ancestry.com and put in this information about your ancestors. I've been doing that with my family, and it's just amazing the things you find!

Lovely paintings, by the way.

Michele
xo

Paintings by Patricia said...

It is amazing. My daughter has done that with our family history, and I have found relatives in a neighboring town! Lovely paintings and A beutiful lily, one of my favs.

Sally Dean said...

I am going to do that Michele- its on my list!
Thanks
pat

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

LOVE the story about your grandmother, and really love that you're copying her painting. Imagine the dedication she had with a ONE year old to do this! Sweet little landscape, and the water lily... wonderful. Miss you, girlfriend.

M.F.Bruno said...

I am not surprised that art runs through your ancestry. How fantastic that you are able to see and work from your great-grandmother's painting. I only know of my grandmother's sister from my past who was an artist. She died quite young and no one knows what happened to her paintings. How wonderful that you can treasure your great-grandmother's work...