Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Datura-oil on panel- 8"by 8"

I got the seeds for this plant seeds from a neighbor- I was admiring her flowers that look like angels trumpets-
I threw the seeds in my yard and forgot about them- the next year I was surprised and delighted to see these lovely huge blooms!
I just now googled it to make sure I spelled it right and look what I found-
Datura belongs to the classic "witches' weeds," along with deadly nightshadehenbane, and mandrake. Most parts of the plants contain toxic hallucinogens, and Datura has a long history of use for causing delirious states and death. It was well known as an essential ingredient of love potions and witches' brews.
Uh oh! Better keep an eye on these and tell my sister -in law -across the street- I gave some to her!

1 comment:

Gail Hunter said...

Looks like the moon flower. I want some in my yard too. Can I have some seeds?