Friday, December 18, 2009

Real Beauty 8" x 8" oil on panel




I thought about what it means to be beautiful as I painted my trusty cosmetic bag. We are constantly inundated by the  standards of how we are supposed to look from the media, and it is not hard to feel inadequate when comparing ourselves to these models.
From a book called "Lit from Within" by Victoria Moran ( a gift from a true beauty, my friend Sue Sheehan)
We see the beauty in others the same way we see it in ourselves- by looking beyond appearances to the person living in the body and the spirit that animates both. Conversely, you've never been more beautiful to another person than when you regard him or her in this light. This is how people look  at us when they love us very much. It's also how people of true spiritual depth look at everyone. It's happened to you, I'm sure: someone looks at you with such pure love, such positive regard, it goes straight to your soul. A lovely ideal is to behold all people, friends and strangers in this way.
Very good and wise words. I hold them true to my heart.
However- I don't like to go out without applying my mascara first- nothing wrong with that!

4 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

You wear mascara? Looks TOTALLY natural! And I think not only is this a very cool painting, but the sentiment is so very true. Sometimes when I'm with a difficult person, I try to see them as their own mothers saw them when they were babies - sweet, innocent, needy, impressionable. I try to think of the hurts they've felt, and that made them put on this ugly shell that I am confronted with. Hey... mostly it works!

Manon said...

Cool painting!! I have the same cosmetic bag...lol!So cute!
Wonderful post!

Sally Dean said...

Hey Manon- you must have gotten the same deal I did at clinique!
Kelley that is a good way to deal with those less than cooperative people...surround them with love
even if it kills us!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Powerful post.
You are awesome and adorable and I never knew you wore mascara. I'm that way with the lipstick.
Vivian and I were hiking around Monhegan and refreshing our lipstick, like after lunch :D
Let it SNOW!!!