Sunday, April 4, 2010

studies on the road from Hawi- oils on canvas

Okay -I had to put yet another rainbow on the blog- I have never seen so many ! And they look like you can hold them in your hand... or run under them...or find a pot of gold! It's hard to look away. I suppose, however, that one could become indifferent to them-its a common phenomenon. I see them from time when I water the garden in the sunshine or take an outdoor shower. Magical!
Today was the farmers market- last one for me for a while - and here is Jan's neighbor Stephen- orchid farmer- and really great guy. 
Not the best day for painting at the market so I took the car and went to Hawi and Upolu point- the very most northern tip of the island.


On the way back I pulled over and painted these quick 15 minute studies in the passenger seat of the car...


this last one I did sitting cross legged in the back- with the hatchback open.
I think I need to do more yoga to sit in this pose!

3 comments:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

HA! I was thinking it was just ME who couldn't get comfortable like that anymore! I love these 'drive-by' paintings, they're so fresh and inspired!

Happy Easter, girlfriend. We love and miss the 'Sallyness' here on the mainland...

Boston Baked Beads said...

I love your 15 minute paintings - you capture so much in such a short time.Beautiful!

Paula Villanova said...

Geez Sally, I would be on such visual overload there; it must be so exciting to see all that natural beauty that is unlike the beauty we get here in this corner of the world. I love these 15 minute paintings, and more importantly, the spirit behind them. (and captured in them)