Friday, April 8, 2011

Animals

After Charleston we went to Oak Island in NC to visit the amazing Jane Filer- she creates large paper mache heads out of old bicycle helmets-people dress up in costumes and wear them and dances around to the live drumming for her openings.I hope to go to one of THOSE openings someday!
I was dying to learn, and happened to have a helmet in the car- so Jane showed me!

It starts like this...
 Jane making her head
Mine is a bear and you see out of the mouth...

Then we painted them and made a little movie

Here's my almost finished head- I need to add some more shoulder action...


And still on the animal theme- here's Maddie- she was working at the big Cooper Bridge race in Charleston- not sure why there was a parrot there!



1 comment:

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Kindred spirits, for sure! What fun, and oh, Maddie, you are so beautiful!